Saturday, September 30

Digital Approach Study

Today Brian Bolland is my hero not only because of Camelot 3000 (perhaps the best sequential novel of all times) but mainly for this tutorial that I just happened to stumble across while digging the Internet for comic artists that actually do it all digitally. I knew it could be done! This is just the first time I've seen it done with such control. The final result doesn't look stiff at all.

The good thing is that Brian explains both what he thinks works and where the digital approach falls behind. I've already figured out that rotating the paper is something that needs to be implemented. I think Painter has that feature, where you can rotate the view of the artwork without actually resampling the bitmap so that you always can return to your original pixels.

It's also interesting to see how Brian works with paths, specially for the perspective stuff. I've always hated paths in Photoshop because they are so inferior to strokes. However... Brian uses his paths like a ruler (or a curved ruler at times). I think there is a way to combine these two techniques where you end up with a path that is partially filled in with a stroke that you still can adjust.

Bollands pattern technique is also interesting. In some way it's similar to how I think about colors. He has a circular splatter pattern that he can sample ink splatter from. For all that I know we can create similar circular patterns mathematically. I never thought of it that way before but it's genius. Now I know what the feathering tool should look like.

3 comments:

Neal said...

I thought that bit about having two views of the image open simultaneously was pretty cool too, I hate having to constantly resize to see how it looks from afar. This must be an option they got rid of after Photoshop 5.5, as I can't find anything similar in CS.

Robotacon said...

It's called the "Navigator" in Photoshop and normally sits next to the "Info"-tab. I have never used it myself but perhaps it's more useful than I know. If we've rotated the paper that view could remain unchanged for easy reference.

Thanks for the input Neal!

Neal said...

DUH.

Yeah I've used the Navigator, and found it too small a view to be useful in "stepping back", but never really woke up to the fact that I could resize it.

Sadly, that's what you get when you're self taught!