Sunday, September 10

Mixing Colors in 3D

As you might have noticed I'm trying to touch on everything that has anything to do with creating comics. Todays topic is coloring ,and to be more specific, selecting colors.

My theory is that you should not normally be looking for one single base color or one shade or highlight. You're instead looking for the color of the fabric you're going to paint and how that color reflects light in the scene you're painting. We need a base color AND one or two colored light sources and how this object we're painting reflects light.

Take a look at this green globe that is lit by one light source and also reflects an amount of red. To me this is can be treated as ONE unit. The color of the globe lit this way. We could create similar color mixes for skin under moonlight or spandex lit by green neon. All we need to do is select one base color, one or two light sources and a reflex value to calculate a huge amount of different colors that we then can use depending on what angle the area we're painting is supposed to be at.

I'm not sure how that works out but if we were using a wacom board the angle of the stylus might control where on the globe we sample the color we're currently painting with. This means that we track the surface normal of each pixel and map that to globe much like in ray tracing.

I'm pretty sure there is a more scientific and correct way of explaining what I just said but I figure it's just as easy to just show you. I'll do that as soon as I've read up on how ray tracing works.

3 comments:

Neal said...

This sounds incredibly interesting. And in theory, totally easier than the more conventional methods...

And I've been enjoying the posts you've made about your comics studio project!

Robotacon said...

Thanks Neal!

I appreciate your input. I feel like I've only scratched the surface of where we're going but it's a whole lot easier, and doesn't feel so daunting, when I know someones is listening.

Neal said...

Well, as someone who recently discovered Baloonist and finds it a godsend, and someone who looks attentively (but waringly) at all in One programs like MangaStudio, I'm exceedingly interested in the work you've displayed here. And the coloring engine seems to really gain an edge on the other comprehensive comic creation programs.

Keep it up!