Saturday, October 21

Normalized Sketching

I've been sick for almost a week so I haven't been able to work that much and this being a spare time project I haven't done anything related to Comic Book Innovation. Anyhow... I'm going to take the time to discuss a theory I have about something we'll call normalized sketching.

If you sketch with pen and paper you run the risk of saturating the paper with too much lead. The paper gets messy. Enter the light table. With the use of a light table we can create multiple iterations of the same piece of art until it's tight enough to go to ink. If you don't have access to a light table you can also use something like a kneaded eraser to take enough lead off the paper to keep working on the same paper.

When working with a normalized (digital) piece of paper the lead is never fully saturated. This can be achieved in a number of ways.

My first instinct was to create some kind of brush that adds lead at the tip and removes some lead at a proximity of where you're drawing. This way you're both drawing and erasing at the same time working your way towards tighter and tighter artwork. If you use this with a mask won't erase any areas that you're fully satisfied with.

You can also regulate the amount of lead that you put on the paper. If you divide the distance between the current saturation of the paper and the full saturation of the paper for every pixel you add to your sketch you will never have a fully saturated paper. I'm afraid this will feel like drawing with a failing ball point but until I've actually tried it I won't dismiss it.

I tried to replicate some of this in Photoshop but I didn't manage to. The prototype posted here is the best I could do with this little time. As an added feature the erasing factor is bigger the faster you draw and affects a smaller area if you're drawing slower with added control.

No comments: